Friday, September 23, 2011

This Post is About Poop. And Why I'm a Nice Wife.

Not even ten posts in and I'm already talking about poop. We'll get to the nice wife part later. I told you this was just another mommy blog.

So, Jacob wears cloth diapers most of the time. Elizabeth did too before she potty trained. I'd love to tell you that it's because I'm just that green, but really, it's because Dan is just that green. He's even a member of some order of green engineers that strive to use their powers for good protect the planet's resources in their work or something like that. I signed on because cloth diapers are cute. Oh hey, guess who does the diaper laundry! Hint: It's not me.

Over five years of cloth diapering in this house has made us both experts, albeit in different aspects of this undertaking. Dan is an expert in how to juggle the laundry. I am an expert in where to find the cutest diapers.

Invariably, when people find out that we use cloth, one of the standard responses is "But what about the POOP?" Yes, what about the poop? Not gonna lie, it's kind of gross. You're supposed to dump it into the toilet before throwing the diapers in the wash, but have you ever SEEN baby poop? It's not really something you can dump (no pun intended.) It's more of a "scraping" thing. Yeah, sorry for that imagery. Anyway.

Because we never really found a good cloth night time solution, Jacob wears a disposable diaper at night - we go through one pack of disposables every couple weeks or so. There are always a few in the house for that reason. Being home with Jacob all the time has me much more in tune with his rhythms, if you know what I mean. It occurred to me a couple weeks ago - I know about when he poops every day. What if I put a disposable diaper on him right before that? NO MORE SCRAPING! Or at least, a lot less scraping. And far fewer ripe poopy diapers in the diaper pail waiting for Dan every night!

And that's how we started going through two disposable diapers every day instead of just one. My environmentally conscious husband is totally okay with this, because he figures we're still doing better than if we were using all disposables all the time. And hello, the laundry is way less toxic.

Told you I was a nice wife. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment