Friday, September 16, 2011

I Miss Sick Days

When you work full time outside the home - or at least, when I worked full time outside the home - getting sick was a nuisance, but at least I had sick days. Daycare would still happily take my little monsters, and I could stay home, blissfully alone, and nurse myself back to health. Nursing myself back to health often meant sleeping most of the day and watching as many Maury paternity episodes as I could find. Not so anymore.

Since leaving my job last spring, I've been sick three times - twice with strep throat, and this latest bout of illness is either a fall cold or really severe fall allergies (or maybe a little of both.) The strep episodes were particularly awful, because Elizabeth hadn't started school yet so I had both kids home with my sick self, and it was SUMMER and shouldn't we be DOING EVERYTHING ALL DAY LONG IN THE SUMMER, MAMA?!?! I could barely swallow, let alone get my butt off the couch, and she wanted to know why we weren't going to the pool. Sit DOWN, child.

It's easier to be sick with just Jacob at home, but I still have to drag myself to and from the bus stop (and today, soccer practice.) My television options are generally more along the lines of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse instead of Maury, but at least Jacob still takes a nap... even if he did drink half of my peach-banana-orange smoothie, the little sneak.

No comments:

Post a Comment